This lavishly illustrated book is the first comprehensive photographic guide to the Caprimulgiformes of the world. Each of the 100 species of nightjars and nighthawks, 17 frogmouths, 7 potoos, Oilbird and 10 owlet-nightjars are illustrated with high quality photographs, including many images which have never previously been published.
* Covers 135 species – all the nightjars and nighthawks, frogmouths, potoos, Oilbird and owlet-nightjars – following the latest taxonomic studies.
* Features over 580 superb colour photographs – the work of 190 different photographers – covering every known species and many of the subspecies, including a significant number of images never previously published. * Includes photographs of museum specimens of those species for which images of live birds were unavailable, including the five species that have not been seen since their original discovery.
* Species accounts include colour distribution maps, the scientific citation, identification points, the main confusion species within range, vocalizations, habitat and altitudinal range, breeding season and sites, egg type and clutch size, downy chick, status and 2009 IUCN Red List category.
* Fully illustrated introductory sections cover distribution, plumage and structure and general biology.
* A comprehensive section covering the latest taxonomic thinking and explaining the treatment of each family.
Nightjars of the World – Potoos, Frogmouths, Oilbird and Owlet-nightjars